Yearly Meeting minutes are positions on which Quakers in Canada, through a process of collective discernment, have found unity in the spirit, and have recorded this unity. As Canadian Friends Service Committee is a committee of the national body of Quakers in Canada – Canadian Yearly Meeting – minutes passed during CYM in session often call on CFSC to work on a particular concern.
Careful consideration and discernment about a concern starts usually at the Monthly Meeting level and this may be seasoned for some time before a minute is brought forward to CYM. Most of the minutes on this page arose following significant background research by CFSC, discernment by Monthly Meetings, and input from many Friends. Posted below are a selection of minutes approved by CYM that inform and guide our work as CFSC.
Note – all minutes below are in PDF. You may need to right or command click the links and download the files if they are not displaying properly in your browser.
- Justice is Possible: Compassionate Response as the Foundation for Public Safety (2010)
- Prison Abolition (1981)
Economics and Ecology
- Synthetic Biology (2014)
- Synthetic Biology (2012)
- Faith and Genetics (2012)
- Uranium and Nuclear Issues (2011)
- Tar Sands (2008 – 2010)
- Earth Charter (2004)
- Sustainability (2001)
- Biotechnology (2000)
Indigenous Peoples’ Human Rights
- Truth and Reconciliation (2016)
- Truth and Reconciliation (2015)
- Repudiation of the Doctrine of Discovery (2013)
- UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples (2010)
- Canada’s involvement in the arms trade (2016)
- Addendum to the 2009 Israel/Palestine minute (2014)
- Israel/Palestine (2009)
- Peace Tax (1987 to 1995) – This collection of minutes and reports over 8 years of discernment helps the reader understand the development, approval, and implementation stages of a Quaker concern.