Canadian Friends Service Committee (CFSC) is the peace and social justice agency of The Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Canada. CFSC works to alleviate suffering and develop transformative and sustainable approaches to human rights, justice, and peace.
CFSC has a maternity leave position based at the national office in Toronto. The Finance Assistant is a half-time position (17.5 work hours/week) for 11 months. The Finance Assistant is responsible for financial assistance, and reports to the General Secretary. The General Secretary provides instruction and support to equip the Finance Assistant to undertake their job responsibilities.
- Enter the monthly bookkeeping data into accounting software
- Processes all deposits and accounts Payable
- Donor correspondence, including tax receipts
- Other financial administration tasks
The ideal candidate will have a background in bookkeeping and/or financial administration.
Compensation: for half-time position $20,982—$23,818 annually, based on qualifications.
Contract dates: Mid-August 2020—July 2021. Currently, CFSC is not yet back in our office. Location of work to be determined with regard to health and safety protocols.
How to Apply
If you have the gifts and skills required, we welcome your submission including:
- Cover letter
- Two references (work-related)
- Resume outlining your qualifications and your interest/leading to serve as staff within CFSC
Please email your application package to email@example.com. No phone calls, please. While we wish to acknowledge all applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Application Deadline: 9 am (Eastern) on Monday, July 20, 2020.
Canadian Friends Service Committee is an equal opportunity employer.
Finance Assistant Job Description
Reporting and Accountability
The Finance Assistant is responsible for finance assistance, and reports to the General Secretary. The General Secretary provides instruction, feedback, and support to equip the Finance Assistant to undertake their job responsibilities.
- Issues and mails tax receipts, thank you letters (using general text written by the Communications Coordinator), and other donor correspondence to offline and online donors in a timely manner.
- Sorts and files invoices and assists staff with expense reports and CFSC members with travel reimbursement following meetings.
- Creates and mails invoices and supports program committees in doing so when necessary.
- Calculates and mails Workplace and Safety Insurance Board payments quarterly.
- Enters the monthly data into Traverse Accounting software.
- Responsible for bank deposits and other banking transactions, including obtaining bank drafts and money orders, direct deposits and wires.
- Processes and files deposits through Canada Helps and Stripe.
- Prepares cheques for project and grant payments on the direction of appropriate staff. Ensures sign off of all remittances by the Treasurer and General Secretary and distributes them.
- Pays all bills and maintains financial records.
- Maintains the bequest revenue chart and records the monthly transfer.
- Prepares and posts monthly journal entries, reconciles bank accounts, enters financial data, prints monthly financial statements, and provides monthly and quarterly financial statements to the Treasurer, staff, and various committees.
- Completes the year-end entries and prepares necessary documents for annual audit and assists the General Secretary with the data submission to the auditor.
- Provides monthly bank and investment statements and bank reconciliation details to the Treasurer for review.
- Prepares and submits the HST return twice a year.
- Administers the monthly Preauthorized Auto Withdrawal (PAW).
- Responsible for maintaining financial records in an organized and accessible manner; for the annual review of financial files, and for the destruction or transfer of inactive files.
- With other staff, maintains donor database and records and updates with any changes requested by individuals.
- Responsible for the selling of t-shirts and buttons, etc.
- Files legal forms (e.g. with Corporations Canada) under the authorization of the General Secretary.
- Other tasks as assigned by General Secretary.