A key way that Quakers have been active in social justice for many years has been through education, information sharing and informal dialogues. CFSC continues this tradition through our education and outreach work. We provide information about our work and penal abolition through resources and workshops and facilitate knowledge brokering between interested parties. We also support work of individual Friends and projects related to criminal justice by promoting and educating about penal abolition and the work of Quakers.
Below are some documents and resources that CFSC has produced:
- CFSC fact sheet From Harm to Healing: Transforming the Justice System (PDF)
- CFSC fact sheet on Parole, rehabilitation, and community safety (PDF)
- Video of Toronto Friend Keith Maddock talk about his experience volunteering for 20 years in the Don Prison in Toronto:
- Revenge (PDF, pages 3 and 5) an article from the Winter 2016 issue of CFSC’s newsletter Quaker Concern examines the roots of the concept of vengeance in the criminal justice system.
- A radio interview with Kate Johnson, a Quaker and the former chaplain of the Pittsburgh Institution.
- Anthem for a More Tolerant Tomorrow – a classic film that includes Friends and others talking about what penal abolition means and how we can realistically achieve it:
Penal abolition workshops
CFSC hosts informal workshops on penal abolition and how to engage in criminal justice issues. We aim to work with people to better understand the justice system in Canada, how our beliefs lead to penal abolition, what this means and how we can envisage alternatives to prisons.
CFSC has conducted several workshops across Canada since 2015. If you are interested in CFSC conducting a workshop for you, please contact us.
More online resources
Alternatives to Violence Project (AVP)
Canadian Association of Elizabeth Fry Societies
Canadian Centre for Victims of Crime
Canadian Families and Corrections Network
Centre for Crime and Justice Studies
Church Council on Justice and Corrections
Collaborating Centre for Prison Health and Education
International Centre for Prison Studies
International Conference on Penal Abolition
National Associations Active in Criminal Justice
No on prison expansion/#NOPE Initiative
Office of the Correctional Investigator
Penal Reform International
Quaker United Nations Office
Smart Justice Network of Canada
The John Howard Society of Canada
The Zehr Institute for Restorative Justice